Sometimes in life we come to a point where we want to move away from our current situation, to change our life, situations, relationships, or reach more opportunities, but from our current viewpoint these experiences seem unattainable and out of reach.
Whenever we want to achieve something, its critical to first get clear on what it is that we want. Life can become hectic and you can be overwhelmed with the mass of balls being juggled in the air, but if you truly want to change you have to prioritise time to map out your future and what you want.
This is true with anything you want to achieve, being successful in your job, starting your own business, changing your life or reinventing yourself. Only 2% of people achieve their goals because it takes continued commitment and belief in yourself. So without sounded too harsh, if you are not already on your way to achieving your goals, you need to stop making excuses and start taking action.
How badly do you want this? Write it down. What will it mean for you? How will it change your life?
Once you have the motivation to take action, make a commitment to yourself to see this through. Be apart of the 2%!
How to reinvent yourself?
From what I have seen, the gap between where you are now and where you want to be can be the focus point and hole that we can all fall into and get stuck, so its important to school yourself into following through and not dismissing your ability to succeed.
The more you trunk down your steps to success, the more likely it is that you will follow through and achieve your goals.
1. Clarity – get clear about what it is you want. Then define your personal brand to encompass the values of your goals whilst ensuring you add value to others.
You must be clear with what you are looking for, what you are wanting to achieve. How do you want to be perceived by others, how do you want to be received by others? What are you goals and what do you need to achieve to get there?
Write a long list of things that describe this new you or new situation and then next to that list and per item, identify steps you can take to achieve them.
This way you can start to map out what you will need to achieve to fulfil your goals.
2. Confidence – You have to believe in yourself and if you are not confident you have to fake it. Trick yourself into feeling better. You can visualise a new version of yourself that has already achieved your goal. How would you act, look and feel if you were that version of yourself?
If you are clear on what you want others to perceive, then you will project it and others will pick it up. Test it! Try it out and I think you will be surprised with the results.
Confidence is one of the most powerful signals. We can all control our emotions and internal feelings, we just have to get better and practice doing so. If you find it difficult to be confident, start by acting confident. Walk around the house feeling confident, at work or in meetings. How do you walk, do you stand up taller and speak louder?
Once you have felt the feeling of confidence, start to loop in the feeling of confidence for your new goal and imagine your new goal and success within your confidence and practice this feeling daily.
Basically, you need to do whatever it takes to get yourself to have faith in you. There are too many times that I have seen people doubting themselves or holding themselves back from happiness. This is one of the core problems and once you achieve self belief you can pretty much start achieving any goals. Believe in yourself, you can do it. You are completely capable and there is no one else more suited than you right now in your situation and in your experience with your unique perspective to achieve your specific goal.
3. Community – Providing value and building relationships with your new clarity and confidence. Go out into your world and embody this new you.
What can you do with this new confidence that will help others? How can you brighten someone’s day or help them?
So how does this translate into your personal brand? Personal branding is very similar to branding a company.
First you need to get Clear, then you present it, Marketing = Confidence & Community.
Non verbal communication is everything with Personal branding. Your inner confidence inspires your clothes, your attitude, how you present and hold yourself. So get very clear on what it is you want, then test and refine.
- Figure out what your brand is – what you want to stand for and what you want others to percieve. Whittle your personal brand into 3 words e.g. honest, friendly, determined.
- Get feedback on what your current brand is by simply asking “Can you describe me in 3 words?” and see what the feedback is. If its not what you want test and refine your process.
- If you are really brave ask a few people to describe you before you start this process, so that you know your starting point and you can work from there.
If you have any specific questions feel free to ask or share your situation for support.